Saturday, October 24, 2009

My First Post

The Joyful Discovery: plants are my new passion.  They are beautiful and delicious and the whole process of being able to control and encourage nature is fascinating.  I dream of twelve acres to my name with a sweet little house and fields of flowers and veggies and trees....

alas, The Reality Check:  I live in a tiny apartment, in the basement of a house, with no plot of land in a large city and have no plans to leave this hallowed urban life yet. 

So, how do I learn about urban gardening?  Many books in the store and library are targeted towards readers who seem to be born with green thumbs.  There is lingo used and plants referenced that discourage me as I frantically skim, trying to read a bit of everything and find my way in to this exclusive gardening club.  I've heard that experimentation with plants is the way to learn and there are community garden patches but each comes with its own waiting list and I am an impatient and impulsive learner so I must begin today.

Thus, The Plan: I will prepare assignments and attempt to learn about urban gardening beginning with what interests me most (rather than tackling the topic from A-Z).  I will get to know plants through the resources at hand, e.g. public spaces, farmers' market, and checking out community gardens and I will begin to collect a book list and work through it--providing reviews and highlighting what I have learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment