Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Philly worms


After a breif haitus (packing, moving, unpacking and starting a new job!), I am ready to continue documenting my exploration of the hortus urbanus.  Starting first inside my new urban home: it's time to try making our own worm compost.



Step 1: The Materials (outside)

I opted for the indoor Rubbermaid worm composting container--following Seattle Tilth's design--the cost of materials was about 7$ per bin (2 needed--it's best to buy these online for a good deal) and 20$ for the odds and ends pieces needed in the design. 

It took only a few hours to complete and looks nice enough to keep under the kitchen table!



Step 2: The Materials (inside)

I tore up several stacks of newpaper and thin cardboard and lightly wet the paper, filling the container about 1/2 full, I added about a cup of gritty dirt and then added just under 200 red wigglers, bought from a local tackle and bait shop.  It was recommended to start with more but I felt 200 was a good start (now that it has been a few weeks, I may go back and buy more).  200 red wigglers from a bait shop ran about 24$



Step 3: The food
I started out small, adding just a few scraps twice a week.  The food is disappearing and worm castings are starting to appear.  When I add new scraps, I bury them in the bin and so far there has been no problem with odor. In fact, the bin just smells like fresh wonderful soil!



Step 4: What I plan on adding (and you might want to add):

more dirt or sand (gritty material)
compost
and more worms!

We put the worm bin together on July 12th (I didn't think to document each moment at the time!) and we are now in week 4--so far, so good! (stay tuned)

No comments:

Post a Comment